Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I can haz propper Inglish?

VooDoo Medicine Man has a post about the bastardization of the English language in America here; http://voodoomedicineman.blogspot.com/2008/12/on-bastardization-of-language.html

I agree with him, wholeheartedly, even though I am sure my written and spoken grammar is far from perfect. I still remember my 7th Grade English teacher, Mrs. McGrath, forcing us to recite the prepositions (of, in, by, to, for, with, and so on). I also remember getting back my diagrammed sentences dripping in red. My maternal Grandfather was a sign maker. He had so much respect for proper English that he refused to do signs with intentional mis-spellings such as Kwik or Sooper. My Father insisted on the children having reading, writing, and public speaking skills.

As a result I have a great respect for the written and spoken word. I know that some of my success in life is due to being able to write a clear, coherent sentence. I despair at what passes for written communication from my residents and Junior Officers.

All that being said, my dear, dear, beloved Sister-in-Law, the cat fanatic, has started sending me images from this blog; http://icanhascheezburger.com/
Every time I see one of those images with, what I can only assume, an attempt at phonetic spelling that is supposed to be cute (kute?) I want to tear the hair out of my head. It is no wonder that most of the reports and write ups I receive look like badly formatted text messages.

No comments: